Achievements of Melanoma’s Dream Team | 18 mins
Achievements of Melanoma’s Dream Team | Overview
In this video, Professors Georgina Long and Richard Scolyer celebrate the achievements of five men who have transformed the diagnosis, treatment and management of melanoma during their remarkable careers.
- Prof John Thompson AO is a surgeon and world-renowned melanoma researcher who pioneered the novel technique of isolated limb infusion with cytotoxic agents for melanoma.
- Prof Rick Kefford AM, a consultant medical oncologist and researcher, contributed to the understanding of the genetics of melanoma through his seminal research.
- Prof Peter Hersey is a pioneer of immunotherapy and of the investigation of treatment resistance in melanoma.
- Prof Stan McCarthy AO, known as the Australian “guru” of pathology in Australia, is a world authority on melanoma pathology.
- Prof Roger Uren is a nuclear medicine physician renowned for the development of lymphatic mapping in the management of patients with melanoma. His pioneering use of lymphoscintigraphy helped elucidate lymphatic drainage pathways and was adopted worldwide.
Professor Georgina Long
Medical Oncologist, Melanoma Institute Australia and Royal North Shore Hospital | Conjoint Medical Director, Melanoma Institute Australia | Chair of Melanoma Medical Oncology and Translational Research, The University of Sydney.
Professor Richard Scolyer
Pathologist, Melanoma Institute Australia | Conjoint Medical Director, Melanoma Institute Australia | Senior Staff Specialist, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital | Clinical Professor, The University of Sydney.